Doctor of Philosophy degree candidates pursue an advanced program of study and research in preparation for careers in research and teaching.
- The minimum of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- a minimum grade-point average of 3.5 (A=4.0) for the last 60 hours of undergraduate work or 3.5 for all graduate work if entering with a masters degree
- official results of the aptitude portions of the Graduate Record Examination with a score of 152 on both, verbal and quantitative.
- three letters of recommendation.
- international students must also submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores, with a minimum score of 580 on the paper based TOEFL test, 237 on the computer based test, or 102 on the internet-based test (iBT).
- students for whom English is not their native language and who wish to be considered for a teaching assistantship must achieve a score of 230 or higher on the Test of spoken English (TSE) or the Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) on versions prior to 1996. A score of 50 or higher on the newer versions.
Visioning Future Excellence at Illinois (VFE) is a campus-wide attempt to capture what challenges the world will face in the next twenty to fifty years and what role our preeminent institution will play in addressing those challenges. Twenty groups totaling over 700 people gathered for focus group sessions over the Spring 2012 semester. Represented in these groups were faculty, academic professionals, civil service staff, graduate students, undergraduate students, alumni, community members and corporate leaders.
The groups were asked to address two questions:
- What are society’s most pressing issues?
- What distinctive and signature role Illinois can play in addressing those issues in the next 20 to 50 years?
In the Kinesiology and Community Health department, in our own VFE retreats we have attempted to articulate how our own work interfaces with the 6 VFE themes identified by the campus. For more information about the VFE outcomes and process visit the VFE website.
(View a text-only version of the KCH Visioning Future Excellence report)