Fire accidents are not very common. But when they take place they cause great alarm and destruction and sometimes loss of life.
After taking our food in the night, my father made fire to heat milk. When the milk had been heated, we drank it in another room.
Then my father told me to put out the fire with water on the half burnt pieces of wood. Then thinking that the wood would not catch fire again in the oven, I put it aside in a corner. Unfortunately there was a huge pile of wood for fuel in that room.
I went away to my father’s room. The beds were ready and we slept. It was 9 o’clock in the night. My father was reading a newspaper.
Suddenly he saw smoke entering our room. He wondered from where it was coming from. He went out in the courtyard. The smoke was coming out of kitchen. The door had caught fire.. He opened the door and cried, ‘Fire, Fire’.
Father was crying loudly to neighbours for help. He began to take out costly things. The neighbours came quickly.
Image Source: thehindu.com
Some helped us in bringing out the things from the house, while others ran to a well nearby for water. There were only three buckets in the house.
They cried for more buckets. Some brought four more. Others only cried. My father was nervous and he lost presence of mind.
He did not know what to save and what to leave behind. There was more noise and less work. People were running over the roof and pouring water with buckets. There was a young boy. Pappu.
He worked very hard to put out fire. He ran with the buckets over the roof of the kitchen. Suddenly the roof fell down and he fell over the head of burning wood.
We saw him in the flames. We were helpless. We could not save him. Pappu was lost forever. He was our neighbour.
His parents wept bitterly. The mother became unconscious. The people stopped bringing water. The fire had done its work.
We had lost everything except a few boxes. Our loss was very great. The costliest thing devoured by fire was Pappu. A little mistake may bring a great disaster.
Mishaps or calamities happen suddenly and can be devastating at times, especially if it's a fire. When a fire took place in my neighbourhood I was awestruck and dumbfounded to see the chaos and loss that it caused. It was 10 o'clock at night when a house in my neighborhood had caught fire. I was having my dinner when I heard screams of panic in the neighbourhood. I looked out of the window and saw people rushing towards the burning house. In no time the fire had spread to the first floor which bellowed out smoke from all corners. Residents were pouring buckets of water to extinguish the fire. Many people were throwing sand and dust over the fire. A few people were trying to control the fire by throwing blankets on it. But the fire was ravaging. It was a terrible sight.
It was a two-storeyed building. Some residents of the house were trapped in the second floor. I overheard people saying that the fire may have started from the ground floor. Soon, it spread to the first floor. People entrapped in the building were screaming for help. The flames were rushing towards them. Their lives were in danger. Just then someone in the crowd informed the fire brigade. Some of those who were trapped in the fire took chance of rushing out through the burning flames. They sustained minor burn injuries. It was an awful and miserable sight. The other residents of the neighbourhood were at a loss about ways and means of rescuing those who were trapped in the fire.
Soon the fire brigade arrived. But the fire had already taken its toll. The residents were very anxious, because despite their best efforts they could not extinguish the fire. Some of those who were trapped in the second floor jumped from there in an attempt to save their lives. It was a horrid sight. The firemen fought the fire bravely and brought it under control with the help of large water pipes. They setup a staircase up to the first floor and then to the second. They managed to rescue all those who were trapped amidst flames. What a relief! Everyone was saved including a woman and child. In this brave effort two fire fighters were injured. Some of those who were rescued suffered serious burn injuries. The injured were immediately rushed to the hospital.
However, with a great deal of effort the fire was doused, but it caused immense damage and destruction to the house. Four fire brigade vans finally managed to drench the flames. Furniture, belongings and valuables were burnt to ashes. The whole house looked dismal. Later investigation revealed that the fire had originated from a short circuit on the ground floor. The good news was that no life was lost, thanks to the brave efforts of the residents and firemen!
© Arked Infotech